Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Day 5 Power 90 Challenge: Rolodex of Excuses

Throughout the day, I ran through a litany of excuses for why I couldn't workout tonight. Here's a brief list:

1. I had to work late.
2. I'm tired and might hurt myself.
3. My throat hurts so badly that I grimmace to swallow and find no pleasure in food, thus,
4. I must skip my workout and go to bed early in order to build my immunity.
5. My eyes might not stay open for the whole workout.
6. Because I'm so tired, I might injure myself. (It's twice as likely and therefore deserves double consideration.)
7. Who's really gonna be mad at me for skipping my workout? It's not like I'll get a detention or a late fee.
8. I'll just switch Day 7, a rest day, for today.
9. I deserve a break.
10. Etc.

I finally decided on a combination of "explanations" for why I wasn't going to workout (an even split between numbers 3, 4, and 7). But then I came upon a reason TO workout. As I was checking Facebook (because I'm not too tired or sick for that), I saw a comment on yesterday's blog entry. One of my colleagues wrote a short, quick congratulatory note - praising my elbow sweat, I think - encouraging me to keep going on my journey. All the excuses not to workout melted away. I decided to workout. And it felt good.

Though life is busy, we must make time to share with others a word or two of kindness. We never know when we might make a difference in someone's life. Some might think the difference in my case was small. But for anyone who has a rolodex of excuses for why they can't/shouldn't/won't workout, the difference between working out for 50 minutes and not at all, is huge.

No comments:

Post a Comment